I'm new here . . . I've seen a few other posts about this, but wanted to mention the specifics. My son (4.5) just took the WPPSI and scored a 131 on the VIQ and a 119 on the PIQ (and hit the ceiling on 2 VIQ subtests). He didn't complete the coding - probably b/c he has a very hard time writing/holding a pencil (the psychol. noted this on the report). How common is this sort of discrepancy? We did the testing to see if he qualified for the local gifted school. I don't really understand what the numbers mean, but my son is reading well (probably a 2nd or 3rd grade level) and began reading spontaneously around 3.5 or sooner. His math is what I find truly phenomenal, and I wonder if the WPPSI was able to capture this. Before his 3rd birthday he was skip-counting by 2s, 5's, 10's and doing simple addition/subtraction including to negative numbers. He now can do some multiplication, and quickly grasped money units and the addition involved there. But, it's been the searching for prime numbers (and figuring out many of the tricks for doing so) that has sort of stunned me. He's pretty good at it - he wanted me to go through the primes up to 100 with him (uh, harder than I could do while driving!). Also, at about 3.5 he told me that a circle "has no sides, but as many sides as there are". He can remember dates and calculate what day of the week his birthday will be on for decades to come (accounting for leap years)- in a linear progression - he hasn't intuited the patterns. The psychologist was a little taken aback when we described our son simultaneously increasing and decreasing a sequence of correlated numbers in his head. Today, the 1st, it will be 80 degrees, tomorrow, the 2nd will be 79 degrees. . . etc. (this seemed simple to us compared to some of the other stuff!) He keeps mental lists of when various library books are due (staggered, with some up for renewal, etc). I actually rely on him to make sure we get the books back on time.

So, I suppose my question is, is it possible that the WPPSI didn't catch this math ability? His verbal ability is very good, but it's been the math that has surprised me. And what to do about educational options. .. . Thanks, sorry for the long post