Please try to make sense of my purposeful rambling in my long note. Can anyone help me out here and give me some similar descriptions of their sons (not daughters) at age 4? My son (an only child) actually turns 5 in April. We know no one around us that is like him (personality-wise). He loves to run (inside, outside, wherever), races with us to win, will zig-zag in front to cut us off.:) He LOVES Lego building - strictly vehicles, well, and their homes. He play acts with his cars, trains, etc. He loves to wrestle with us; but not with other kids (trust?); and only with us until he can't really take it anymore more. He is very sensitive; but getting less so. We are trying to get him to become more easy going - if that's possible (some advice there would be nice as well). We don't know if he is just quirky or immature, or both, or what. We think he is great, fun and funny; but other kids seem to read something different about him from the start. He has two friends that he likes to literally run around with; but otherwise he doesn't seem to trust them or something of that nature. We believe him to be between levels 3 and 4...can't tell just yet due to DS being a late talker; but definitely at least a 3. Scored off the charts at just barely age 4 non-verbally by a psych not used to GT kids, let alone ones that will work you when they see frustration.:) So, we are unsure how he is verbally. We will probably test him again around 6. He may have a verbal ld, or not. He sees a private SLP. And I am "trying":) to hs him; and he seems to learn everything we go over very quickly; although reluctantly...another story.

We are going to hs his K year - next fall; and see where to go after that point. I may try to grade skip him eventually; and that is a small part of why I am asking this question. Anyway, my point here is to figure out if my son is just immature, emotionally over-sensitive, if this is "normal" for GT boys at this age. He is not the eloquent gifted talker, as I have heard about; but he really didn't start talking until 2-2.5. He IS catching up, and does not stop talking now.:) He is reading and doing basic math, counting by...; but is more into learning things through my reading to him, and by playing games. He gets into a sort of relaxed/trance state while listening to me read; and can tell me what I read to him, although in immature verbage. He is now playing the piano as well; and because of his delayed speech, his teacher does seem amazed that he is getting it so quickly and that he actually focuses, amid his short-lived silliness. He does have a huge vocabulary; but tends to not use those words. He is trying more now; and uses my DH's and my expressions a lot. I digress again.

I am trying to figure out if anyone's child is/was like him at 4 (almost 5). And if you could actually describe your sons at that age, would you please? I never read descriptions here that tell about how a DS4 (again not daughters) acts in a certain situation socially. Are they "emotionally immature," "emotionally sensitive," actually more mature but dealing with it overly-emotionally? I have read those specific words; but what do they actually mean to you? Can anyone give me examples? situations? I guess my purpose is to see what is "normal" for him. He is becoming more intolerant of kids his age in general, mostly because when he approaches them and asks if he can play with them, they usually give him a dirty look or just say "no." He is hurt; but keeps trying. Is he more mature? less mature? how can other kids read that he is different? I am happy that he doesn't play with those kids if they are not going to be nice anyway; but do you know what I am saying here? This may be a weird statement; but he looks the same as all the other kids...stature, actually as tall or taller than most, a cute kid (if I can say that;). I am at a loss. All my life, I never understood why people/kids were nasty...so he is like me (GT too). So how does this make him less mature? Should he just be more mean? Okay, I'm done.

Thank you! -Michelle p.s. currently going to bed - hopefully waking up to some good responses.:)

Last edited by Mom0405; 01/31/10 10:45 PM.