Originally Posted by kimck
I volunteered in my son's 1st grade class every week for a year in a school that IDs 40% as gifted.
Lol! If you didn't live in a different state, I'd ask if your kid attended our neighborhood school. When we gave some thought to moving dd#2 back there, I spoke with the GT coordinator and told her that dd's GAI on the WISC-IV had come out at 148 the year prior. She advised me not to go with the neighborhood school again b/c so many of the other kids were gifted like her that they wouldn't be able to give her enough attention. Having had kids at that school, it was something like 40% ided as gifted, but I really, really doubt that 40% of our neighborhood kids have IQs in that range!

OP, the IOWA is presumably the ITBS or the ITED, neither of which will tell you someone's IQ. I'd be really skeptical that they had IQ tested any large # of the kids in the school. Even the group tests like the CogAT, OLSAT, NNAT, etc. do not give you an IQ score. They give you the child's "developed abilities" in relation to a norm group of the same age and/or grade. This is not IQ.