From what I've read, the CAT is one of the easier tests. The ITBS is supposed to be a bit more challenging and "if you really want to know what your DC knows" use the SAT/10. Now I put that in quotes b/c that is what someone said at the WTM boards. We may do the SAT/10 this year. I think I've seen the recommedation to keep testing up a level until child reaches 50th%.

There is also the WJIII or the MAP test. The MAP test covers K-2 and at the next level 3-9 I think. As far as I know. It keeps increasing in grade level until DC starts missing enough questions, then it backs down a bit to find the grade level your DC is performing at. That's what I've been told...someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Map test has to be done through an *agent* and most often those are schools who are using it and may let you test w/ them. Also homeschool co-ops may use it so you can check in your area. There is a company in Florida that will let you sign up from any state and test through them. You use your home computer. It's only a finite time....there is a deadline to register buy and there will be a small window in which you log on and take the test. You can call the MAP testing company (Forgetting the anacronyn) and ask what schools in your area are using MAP testing.

hth,
Dazey