(Having said that, there is no way I would last in industry - I am a true teacher - can't imagine doing anything else and love being in the classroom with kids teaching them these subjects.)

The teaching profession is truly blessed to have you Kerry.

The problem lies in the fact that if you are capable of teaching the highest levels of math and physics, chances are you are not going to step foot into a classroom once you have your degree unless it is as a parent for a conference about your child. Why? Because you can make a ton more money by going into industry. With the salaries what they are here, it is really not worth the time, energy and frustration of having to teach in the public high school here.

I have often wondered about this as people frequently ask what DS is going to do when he finishes university. I have no idea but have always assumed that high school maths wouldn't be challenging/satisfying enough for him, plus I don't see him as a true teacher.

During the holidays he purchased a postgraduate university guide and is looking into doing his masters and doctorate, so I still have no idea what he will end up doing but then again he probably doesn't either....

(Mind you, I often have visions of him in the bowels of some university lecturing, researching and scribbling down formulae on scrap pieces of paper.LOL)