Tammy - I totally agree. Our country is striving for mediocrity rather than trying to accelerate our top percentage of kids. It is a very PC world right now and the GT kids are definitely being left behind in many ways. The "no child left behind" has really hurt everybody I think. But people are very aware of that now and I am very hopeful that things are starting to swing in the other direction.

Krison - I look at Susie Q and, I believe it was cym, who are trying to start new programs and to Dottie who is blazing trails at her school and to you, who are homeschooling your child to see he gets what he needs and that makes me hopeful and excited about possible change. People are trying to do what they can to make a difference and that gives me hope for the future (remember Grinity's "for the grandchildren!") ((smiles))

Also, in the baggage area, many, many of us posted about how bored we were, how we read in class all the time, or had a hall pass to wander the halls, etc. so I don't see that things were so wonderful back then either. At least not for everyone. Maybe it is each person's individual experience with what they had and what their individual kids have now that shapes our perspectives.

My kids are in an accelerated magnet school (which is a public school) and while they aren't getting a perfect education, they are getting a good one. They have foreign language from K on up, art, dance, music, computer class, etc. as well as the regular curriculum. There are lots of clubs to join and after school activities to attend so I have to admit I am pleased with what they are getting. But they aren't PG or HG so it is easier for them I admit. However, I do think they are getting a better education than I did even with my being in a GT program - it just wasn't impressive. So again, I think it has to do with each person's individual experiences as to whether things seem better or worse today.

Very interesting topic!!!! :-)