I could use some feedback regarding how you approach screentime. We have always had a half hour limit on screentime per day (that includes tv, DS, computer games, playstation, etc., although he almost never watches tv). Our school reinforces this by having a television turn-off program and we agree to only watch a half hour on any school afternoon/night.

However, I am now faced with the challenge of how to define certain quasi-educational items. For example, my DS likes to play Timez Attack, which is definitely educational, albeit with a violent club wielding goblin to whack crazy However it certainly isn't as educational as the pure "math facts" sort of websites.

I also introduced him to the animation program "Scratch" which he loves. I consider this educational as well.

So, how to balance? My concern is two fold. First, I do notice that his reading time decreases when he is on the computer. This isn't because he doesn't like reading, he does, but is just a function of how much time he has in the day. A related issue is that I want him to have some pure play time. I guess the computer is arguably pure play time, but it doesn't seem quite the same to me. He does do other activities as well (fencing, swimming, soccer, baseball, art, etc. depending on time of year).

I am considering letting him have a half hour of whatever he wants, and then about a half hour of "educational" type computer time - more flexible on the weekends. What would you do?

Cat

Last edited by Catalana; 12/17/09 08:07 AM.