I would try to find time to talk to both the potential 4th and 5th grade teachers. Maybe you can get an idea who would be more excited to work with your son.

I have found that my dd is a lot happier and sucessful bumped up 2 grades for math than when she was only one grade. The teacher takes her age more into account. The age/maturity spread between dd (7 yo and registered for 2nd grade)and the 4th graders is significant, but the older girls are much more supportive and considerate than I think they would be if it was only a 1 grade skip, then it would be easier to just treat dd like a baby.

I don't know what it would be like to have dd in the older room all day as she is socially "young" among her age grade peers. But as the year progresses, she wants to spend more and more time in the 4th grade room.

Next year, I have no idea if she will be in 3rd, 4th, or 5th. I could make equal arguements for all three. The funny thing is that as she fits more into the 4th grade room, she also is fitting more into the 2nd grade room because she can finally be herself. The 2nd graders are noticing and instead of freaking out/becoming competetive, dd suddenly has a lot of friends. Bonus.

I wonder if your son could be accelerated 2 grades in his strongest stubject and just 1 grade for homeroom. Then re-evaluate at the end of the year. It sounds like he might need a radical jolt to his system to encourage him in re-engage.

The question I have been asking myself the past week is: Am I ready for my daughter to be exiting elementary school? At 7, she still perfers to sit in my lap and hold my hand to cross the street.

When does middle school start for your school district? If you accelerate your son midyear, would you have the option for him to repeat that grade next year if need be without it being a failure to meet expectations thing? I could see my daughter doing that, especially if she could have the same teacher for a year and a half.

We'll be thinking about your famiy tomorrow!

Warning: sleep deprived