Bump -
Wow Incog! I'm so so so happy for your daughter! This is an excellent event ((tears of joy))
So, I'm copying/pasting you over here in the hall of fame -
Please add any commentary you feel help explain how you did it, and why it's important!

Re: grade skipping [Re: Dottie]
incogneato incogneato

We have a second grade girl. It's been clear for a while that she is misplaced in her same age grade. Our principal is seemingly opposed to grade acceleration, and I think it's because they have pull out enrichment twice a week. Also beginning in 4th, they have everyday pull outs and a seperate gifted magnet for the top 1%.
Lately my sweet docile girl has been acting out in class and writing mocking discourse on her turn in assignments.
At this point, even the principal was open to a skip. When I told DD7 she became very upset. Even though I haven't seen evidence that she has really bonded with any one child, she is very well liked and loves her teacher and her agemates. She has always been sensitive, but never very emotional and she cried more that I've ever seen her when presented with the idea she would skip. She said if she was skipped all her friends would disappear. The climate at our school is such, that I don't think it would be good for her socially either.
The teacher worked with the elementary gifted teacher and they created a program for DD7 and five others in her class to leave each day.
DD7 is actually excited about this. It not only helps her but five others in her class who are probably highly gifted. It also helps a few others in class who are probably moderately gifted, because, those six children have been hogging up resources the other gifted children in class didn't have access to and now they will.
Grade skips are great and I wish we would have been able to see the future when DD7 entered kindergarten, because I would have made sure she skipped right then and there.
Some kids can skip in higher grades and it's the best thing for them, but some may not do as well.
It is fair to address your child's school and ask for an alternative solution for your child if grade skipping won't work for him.
With your experience, maybe you have noticed others in your son's class that have already mastered the material.
You might be able to suggest that perhaps a few children could work together and benefit with a differentiated program.
Even if that's not the case you can continue to work with the school to have them provide an appropriate education.
It has been a many step process for us and her educational needs will never be totally met at school; I've accepted that. At this point, I think they are doing the best they can. If she's happy with it, I'm happy with it and will continue to work with her at home on the subjects she is interested in.
During the break she will take the WIAT and I will have yet another piece of information. I will bring it in to the school if needed, but mostly it will give me an idea of what she already knows so I can help her learn at home.
BTW I know a lot of homeschoolers around here whose parents are/were teachers!!!!!
-snip

Incog

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com