Originally Posted by NJMom
Forgive my continued musings on this, but I find testing quite interesting, although from everything I've seen it seems a terribly inexact science.

I wonder how much above level the SCAT really is. At least from the sample tests (and from guaging the results that I know of), the questions do not seem that advanced compared to the typical curriculum in a good school district or private school. (And it's not as if I think the typical curriculum is particularly good.)

I'm thinking that the EXPLORE may be a more useful test for mid- and upper-elementary grades.

I don't think the sample tests are a good representative sample of what's on the test according to my son. He had fun taking ALL the sample tests at all levels and took the 2nd to 3rd grade test. These would be similar to perhaps the easiest questions. It's only to introduce the format, not to really challenge. He did well and did qualify for awards, but not mind blowingly so. He breezed through the samples though without any problem.

But I do agree, for older kids the Explore would be a more informative test. The SCAT scores mean very little as they are presented. It's nice to qualify for an award and know you are in those top percentages for cheap skates like us that haven't done full testing. We'll probably do the Explore next year.