Originally Posted by BinB
I asked to have him tested through the school, but they only test if they suspect a learning disability ...They did recommend an educational psychologist, but she specializes in learning disabilities and psychological problems, not giftedness (and is expensive!) so I am reluctant to go there.

Thanks BinB, that helps a lot! If he's 'around' a level 4, there are really only a few neighborhoods in the US were that is a common enough occurance that you can expect any leadership at all from the school. Maybe you live in one of those areas? Silicon Valley?

If you can manage it, look them straight in the eye, and hand them a paper that says: I suspect a learning disability (Is Disgraphia causing his to write to slowly?)please start testing for suspected learning disabilities.

Very Sad, but this is a little bit of theatre that seems to be nescessary these days.

I wouldn't pay money out of pocket to have your child tested until you can locate a tester who is VERY familiar with all the levels of giftedness. LOG is a pretty new concept, so you have to say: 'Do you have lots of experience with testing very unusually gifted kids?' in an innocent sounding voice, even though you are cringing on the inside because you've been so well trained to try and not stand out.

Try this link to see if you are nearby anyone who has been nominated to the Hoagie's list - http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm#uca

Or perhaps there is a friend or relative in a different part of the country that you are overdue for a visit?

Having someone on your side can be a great comfort as you try and process that what was done to you really wasn't ok, and you really do want something better for your child. In a way, I think it's best to have both perspectives at the same time: A)Something Must Change! and B) He'll be Fine Eventually! It drives my DS13 crazy when I talk this way, but there is a lot of wisdom of holding onto BOTH views. (IMHO - LOL!)

You can always wait for your son to start misbehaving in school, and then the school will get really active and tell you he has ADHD and be willing-maybe- to do the testing, and be willing - maybe - to give him a gradeskip or more appropriate work. But by then they think he really is a bad child, and why should they put themselves out for a smartalek kid like that? I don't want to scare you, but I've been down that road, and it's no picnic. It leaves a child deeply confused about themselves and face to face with some rather scary truths about human nature that I wish I could have protected my son from for about 10 more years.

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com