Polly - your post made me smile. Not sure why, but it did. Everyone truly has to find their own way, I guess. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Grinity
Sounds like 'enforced underachievement' to me - which makes motivation very difficult for anyone to maintain. If he can do 'great work' at school with very little effort, he's in the wrong class. Sorry.
That sounds about right. Unfortunately, due to some really strange goings-on in the school system here, I seriously doubt (although, to be fair, I haven't requested) that subject acceleration is an option. We're new to this district, so the history isn't there either. I truly believe that his teacher is doing what she can with what's available (time, resources, support) and I'm appreciative, but I just know that DS isn't really engaged even though he's doing OK, most of the time. It's a catch-22...if he could go at his own pace (for example) one would probably see a need for acceleration, but since he's not, he comes across as not needing anything beyond because he's doing just enough to get through it and it might net a 90 instead of 100.

UGH...it's just so darn frustrating.