Advice would be wonderful!

We got DS's Kindergarten report card yesterday and while I am mostly happy with it (the areas he is 'approaching grade level' are the ones we expected) what makes me wonder is that nothing at all is marked 'Above grade level'. Nothing.

I'm trying to decide what to do about that (if anything). Doesn't it seem that they should be marking him above grade level when he can add, subtract, and somewhat multiply whereas grade lvl is knowing and counting to 30(by 3rd trimester, only to 10 for 1st). Or that he is reading and comprehending at least mid 2nd grade lvl when 'grade lvl' is matching consonant sounds to letters (for only 8-10 letters even).

The only parts that imply he is 'ahead' are that they 'checked' at grade lvl on ALL letters, sight words, and numbers instead of only doing the 10 they should know now.

Is this normal? If we were to change schools wouldn't we have issues - since according to this he's not even above grade lvl in anything?

They also don't report on the things they know he can do if they haven't done them in class. So he has a lot of blank spots where he has been doing that for awhile.

We are setting up a Student Study Team (SST) as I am concerned about what will be done for next year as nothing is really being done now. He also 'seems' to have some sensory issues and that may be impacting the areas he is not at lvl on. They all have to do with getting too distracted, not exhibiting enough self control, etc.

Last edited by CourtneyB; 11/14/09 11:53 PM. Reason: forget to mention this was for Kindergarten