Hi Trinity,
Thanks for the welcome! I had a post earlier called new here which kind of gave a background on my DS6. I believe you helped me out then so thanks. smile I'm just contemplating the idea of testing and wanted someplace fairly close by and the gifted center in philly looked ideal.
Anyway I'm seeing my son not enjoy going to school (he complains he doesn't feel well and wants to stay home) and am feeling frustrated with the system. He is in 1st grade (they just tested his reading ability last year in K and found it to be middle school level)and has been going to 2nd grade for the lang. arts block. They started him off in Oct. with that block (just the whole group work) and then in Nov. decided to extend it to the small group work as well. My son was complaining about it being long and so the teacher brought it back to the way it was.
I wrote to the teacher to get her idea on why he thought it would be long, but haven't heard back. I wrote to the 1st grade teacher on his progress report about the 2nd grade thing and she said she'd talk to the other teacher (it has been a week since then). Called the principal today to request a conference with everyone. I really want to get a true picture of what is going on and see if this is really the best fit for him.
Sorry to ramble on there....I'm just a stay at home mom with an 18 month old as well so I need to chat with an adult even if it is on the computer. smile
So the school doesn't test for GT (and then it is a group test)until the end of 2nd grade and I don't know if I can bear all this for another year and a half.
I apologize again for droning on. smile
Thanks for the smile Grinity. smile
Monica