My older DD is currently in our district's GT program. I would call her MG/HG (138 FSIQ, 146 VCI, 153 GAI). For the first time, I think she is close to being appropriately challenged in her school work. She says she is learning a lot and she loves the curriculum. The downside is that she is also a bit anxious and they have REALLY stepped up the homework this year. And frankly, her teacher is an insensitive ass. She does not like the pressure and I worry about her as things get even more intense in the years to come. Our district is filled with very Type A, super competitive folks.

I found a small Friends (Quaker) school near my work. It is very progressive, little homework, no tests or grades, lots of hands on and experiential learning. Even though it is not "academic", I think it could be a good fit for her emotionally and I think she would benefit tremendously from the outside time and the emotinoally supportive environment.

I know one person (at work) who has two kids here. Her older son left at 6th grade to go to a more academic private school, but he wants to transfer to the county GT magnet school next year. Her younger son is a 4th grader (as my DD would be next year) who is also a bit emotional and anxious, and she says it is a really good fit for him. She would like more homework LOL and I want less.

So I am wondering if anyone here has experience with putting their kid into a less academic environment, but one that encouraged other types of alternative learning.

Here is the school's website for anyone interested:

http://www.friendscommunityschool.org/

Thanks!

Mom to DD9 and DD3