Originally Posted by jojo
I've been trying to find a list of reading books suitable for a highly sensitive girl aged 8. Does anyone know where there's a list of suitable books? jojo

My wife and I are first generation immigrants so we never read any of these children books ourselves. Also I don't have time to hand-pick books for my two daughters when they were little. So I figured out a system that seems to work. I limited the book universe to award winners only (Newbery medal winners and honor books). I figured that I can't go too wrong with these books even without a pre-screen.

following URL for newbery winners.
http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/a...erymedal/newberywinners/medalwinners.cfm

I brought almost entire set of newbery winners and majority of newbery honors over the years. They just pick books up from the bookshelf and read as they please. Some had been read many times, some not. Some of the books are fairly dark and may be scary to some more sensitive kids. But my kids seemed to be fine.

I admit that it is pretty simplistic approach, but saved me a lot of time and energy. This works until middle school. By then they are complete free to choose whatever they want to read.