I have been lurking for a few months - I finally got a good internet connection at home, so thought it was time to jump into the discussions. I have enjoyed everything I have read. I have a ds soon to be 8. We just got our "thank you but can you send more information" letter from DYS. I was hoping to get in with a portfolio, but will have to pursue achievement testing instead.

DS is in second grade (and quite bored), he is in the school pull out program two times a week, which he loves (who wouldn't love playing with K'Nex in school) We were disappointed this September to find out that the gifted teacher we met in the spring got her own 4th grade class and was replaced by a young teacher who was surprised to find her first and second grade gifted students were reading chapter books. He was going to be in a group of fourth and fifth grade gifted children, but she split him and the first grader out to work together.

He often comments that he would like going to school if he could learn something and he would love to be able to study, but doesn't need to. I have been enjoying all of the thread about after schooling and educational web sites, which we can now pursue more easily (yeah for fios)

Thanks for all the great posts, it has helped me understand my child much better.