Timed math fact tests have really been a pain to my ds9, last year and this year (and 2nd grade, too). He knows the concepts, and can recalculate the answers but just doesn't seem to enjoy memorizing. He got his times tables pretty good towards the end of last year, thanks to timezattack and a good teacher, he was actually asking for the quizzes (360 degree turnaround from the fall of that year!). He ended the year loving math and getting straight A's.

Now it seems like he is starting all over frown
He just doesn't like to practice them and I guess he dumped all that info out of his brain over the summer as 'inconsequential'. Anyway, we've been having a few discussions about just doing the practice, whether timezattack or with me, as this does seem to be key to becoming an inventor or whatever sciency thing he envisions.
On the 'meet the teacher' day I gave her a note which stated all this - he hates the rote memorization, he is totally rusty on the times tables, although he was solid on them previously, and he will just need practice. I asked her to try to avoid having him become 'desperately discouraged', as he is the type to bemoan his fate at the slightest faltering and declare that he 'hates' Math. So far this year, at least I have him saying ' I hate MATH COMPUTATION!', or 'I hate these TIMED MATH FACTS!'

(And I keep him supplied with puzzles and books that are mathy/sciency for fun reading to keep the math bug going, as I do believe he really does enjoy Math, outside of those darn fact sheets! )