Dottie: I will certainly ask about the tests normed against the first graders -- that's a great idea. Thank you. I'm quite curious about where that 98 percentile falls among first graders, now that you bring it up.

Incogneato: No gifted parent groups that I know of, though I've been in contact with another little boy's mother from B's class. The gifted coordinators for both the school and the district told us that the GT program starts in second grade -- no exceptions -- and wouldn't speak with us because, you know, her hands are tied. But I will definitely look into a district policy for skipping. As I said, they use the Iowa Acceleration Scale -- I wonder if they'd follow that, if we asked them to do one with B? Somehow I doubt it. :P

Kcab: They did show us the report broken down into subtests, so we know how he did where. I don't have a copy yet, but will tomorrow, so then I'll be able to look at it in more depth.

Originally Posted by kcab
At least, for the older grades the school will have a book available for the teachers which shows what things students are ready to learn, broken down by test score range.

This is so interesting to me. They teach to the test! Oh, I love schools ... It's like hot-housing for standardized tests! shocked

Mia