hi all
i have been trying to figure out my DD5 for a long time. She's a push-pull kid. Says she wants to read but pulls back when trying to instruct her. We've suspected perfectionism and also insecurity about not knowing something. She often lies and says she CAN do things she CAN'T because she says she is "embarassed".. I wanted to let everyone know that about a month ago i bought an online version of the Explode the Code series for her. She never did workbooks (for reasons above) but i thought maybe if she could really work independently and not have me even SEE her work that she could drop some of the anxiety.

At first it was a disaster and i thought i wasted my money. She refused to start on book 1 activities saying they were babyish, too easy, don't make me do this baby work..ahhhhh! so i moved her up a bit (its like EPGY in that you pick a start level) and she struggled but tried to act like she was fine.. well then i backed her up to lesson one without telling her.. and though i think she knows it got easier, she seems to think the COMPUTER did it and not ME.. So for the past couple of days she has gotten absolutely hooked on the thing. I try to act like i am not paying attention. She is moving incredibly fast now. And today i heard something i never thought i'd hear my child say. " MOM, it gave me more challenging work for doing such a good job!".. so she is linking more challenging work with a reward which is just SO important to a healthy attitude about learning.

I am wondering if anyone else finds the computer a better teacher for our little perfectionists out there??