For me, my biggest worry is that the "disability" (dysgraphia, social skills, ADHD) is the focus instead of the strengths. In school all they focused on was the worst subject/skill and until that caught up, he was unable to move on. At home I can teach him test-taking skills, how to avoid careless mistakes, take his time, etc, all while working on his choice of learning material. Hopefully one day the "disability" will no longer be an issue in the real world. I know so many adults who cannot spell, who cannot write legibly, or who cannot sit still and thus do a 9-5 job. It is only an issue when one is not allowed to use "grown-up" coping skills. I would not choose to work in a cubicle because I cannot sit still all day yet I love being on the go 24/7. I often think of my son's social skills this way too. He had a very intelligent conversation with a Geologist yday, but were that another 7yo it would have been labeled "social skills deficit". So I have had to rethink what I consider appropriate. Isn't it our goal to have them function as adults eventually?