Thanks, Lorel.

He's enjoying Elementary Problem Solving 1 at CTY. I'm sure the children of most posting here are way beyond it, but it's very well done. There is a tutorial, a practice and a workout area. All involve sound and animations with cute made up creatures (and unlike so many of you, my son loves animals and books with mice as the heroes - he is most definitely 7!). The graphics are very clean and colorful. He hates to write - and that includes writing for math, although he'll tolerate that - don't have to write too much to write a few numbers down. The quiz, however, is a plain old paper and pencil quiz, which then has to be transfered to the answer sheet online. It would be easier for him to just do it online, but I guess it's good practice. He's never had written tests in school other than weekly spelling tests.

Since the public school isn't challenging him, I'm thinking I'll make it all up at home. I wonder if he would write in a colorful workbook - if you have any suggestions. When I was a kid, I loved filling in answers in workbooks. It gave me a sense of accomplishment. He finds it tedious, and difficult because it's writing.

So any suggestions of anything to make him want to read more, I'd love it. (He CAN read - just doesn't want to, which means that he's not getting the practice he needs to become fluent. Too much work when he can be read to - and his comprehension was tested as over 13 years beyond his age, which is probably a big source of his unwillingness to read b/c it means he only gets his information s-l-o-w-l-y and with difficulty when he reads himself).

Thank you!

ps - in response to one of the earlier posts, I checked out many of the links on your site last night, but almost all of them refer to workbook based programs. I think we need a little more excitement so that he's learning without even realizing he's learning - which is how he picks up everything anyway. Thanks again.