my ds is in 1st grade. His kindergarten teacher (last year) asked us if we were going to test him for gt and now his 1st grade teacher has approached us as well. We are thinking of having him tested this fall. (To be qualified for the gt program he has to be tested through the school district and not by an outside testing center).

The other part to this is that both his kindergarten teacher last year and now his 1st grade teacher have been wonderful about giving him extra assignments/ projects that are in line with his ability. They are not waiting until he has been classified as gifted to give him appropriate work. He is happy in class socially and academically (esp when given extra projects).

My concern is in the length of the test. It is an all day test with a break for lunch. If he doesn't score well he cannot be tested again for 2 years.

It seems many of you have tested ones younger than 7 so I was wondering if you could share how they did with sitting through a long testing day.

My thought is that he should be tested, I just want him to be able to do his best and am worried that by the end of the day he may be worn out. Any thoughts?