Originally Posted by melmichigan
Unless you are in a state with gifted laws you are fighting a very long uphill battle in most cases.
Unfortunately, I agree with Melissa........

We live in a state which GT programming is not mandated by law, and my DS8 with Asperger's goes to public school with no GATE programs whatsoever!! So, his gifted issues are not addressed in his IEP. In the past, he was almost denied for grade skip because his IEP team just focused on his "disabilities" and totally ignored his "abilities". Since he is working above grade level in all academic areas, his IEP just needs to be focused mainly on his behavioral issues. Last year, when he was in 3rd grade, he started having some behavioral problems at school. He was inattentive, defiant, and disruptive in class. We knew why he was misbehaving because he was bored!!! We also knew that his team would not consider his gifted needs in his IEP, so we took a little different approach. We convinced them that he needs an advanced curriculum in order to stay engaged and keep his behaviors in check. So, accommodating his "gifted needs" was implemented as part of his behavioral plans. Now he goes in to 7th grade for his math (Algebra I), and gets his own language Arts worksheets in class. He is very happy now. His behavioral problems have magically disappeared now and the team has stopped pressing a issue of possible ADHD diagnosis.
I know it is very frustrating dealing with school staff who are not familiar with 2E issue. I feel for you...
Good luck.