Hi all,

My DYS, age 8, just finished placement testing for his new online school. He tested "off the charts" according to his teacher and qualifies for placement in high school math. Age wise, he would be entering third grade this year.

Since I know that placement testing is by no means exhaustive and only has a few questions on each topic, I am wondering what I should do. Should I let them place him in high school math or should I ask that he be placed somewhere else, maybe pre-Algebra? I watched him take the test, and I am pretty sure he had never seen some of that stuff before--he just sort of figured it out. I think if it had been timed, he probably would have placed into pre-Algebra.

So, do any of you with "mathy kids" have any advice? I don't really remember what is covered in pre-Algebra. Would it be easy to sort of skip over and just fill in any gaps as they arise?

For what it is worth, he tested about the same in reading, but I am not as worried there because it isn't as sequential as math.

What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!