Maybe I'm off my rocker (again!)...

DD got a letter from her school inviting her to participate in our talent search's above level-testing. We (DH, DD and I) are eagerly anticipating this testing. She did very well on previous above-level testing, and she really wants to see how she'll do.

The letter from the school advised parents to consider the down side of above-level testing. OK, I understand that not all the kids who take it will get awards or do as well as they'd like, and maybe for some kids, that would be a deflating experience.

But, I think the school should take the position that gifted kids need to take risks, and the school should encourage, not discourage, participation. I also think there are kids who will do better than they imagined, and for them, it might be a very positive experience.

I'm considering responding to the letter - though I'll probably keep my mouth shut as usual. I have tried to operate under the advice that my GT teacher gave me long ago - you have to take risks to grow academically (and generally). I'm shocked that the school would advise kids not to take risks.

Any thoughts before I respond to the letter?