This subject has never come up in hour house until about a week ago or so.
Ghost and I were conversing to someone who runs Mathcounts preparatory class at the HS Ghost is hoping to attend, and I did ask him about the boy who won Utah Mathcounts last year. He went to Exeter and is loving it, was the response.
Ghost did not understand, but on the way home he asked what Exeter was and that is how we even started talking about prep schools, but for the duration of a car ride only. Fast forward dwo days, Ghost is getting a recruitment letter from Andover. The first question out of his mouth was - is it as good as Exeter? Then did some checking online and tossed the letter and brochure on the pile of other letters...
Apart from the fact that it is flattering and eye opening to receive a letter like that , it really does not mean anything in the big run. However it has gotten us thinking. Would we dare for our S to take this route? How do you know? Do you wait for the child to take initiative or do you research on your own and than present the case from your point of you to your dear offspring?
My husband did go to a boarding school, but it was in Europe and in middle ages :-)