Hello All -

Since it came up in another thread I wanted to start a discussion about laziness.

For years now I have been meaning to write up a piece about why I think this word should be abolished from use.

Here is my first shot.

Petition to abolish the use of "Lazy" - DRAFT

Reason 1
- It has negative connotations. Ideally, the word would be used to describe behavior (He was being lazy and did not do his homework). But most often it becomes a label that is hard to shake (he or she is lazy) and will eventually reinforce poor self esteem (My guess here. no data to back this up. wink )

Reason 2 and 3
- It is (2) imprecise and (3) does not lend itself to remedy or action. Compare "She did not do her chores because she is lazy" to "She did not do her chores because she is unmotivated" and "She did not do her chores because she is afraid of doing them wrong"

I probably have more reasons but these are the big three. Laziness is just a catch-all phrase that doesn't help anyone.

I would almost say "lazy" is analogous to "tired". It is a surface symptom without the root cause.

Is the person tired because they did not get enough rest? because they just walked five miles? 10 miles? 1 mile and they are out of shape? Maybe I am stretching it. I will stop now.

Thanks for listening.

EW