Thanks for the feedback! You're right about the pics. Of course I didn't think of it 'til just now... but DS has been jonesing for his own digital camera. Maybe I'll give him our older one and let *him* do the documentation. Duh! Shoulda thought of that! :-)

Re: acceleration. Part of me is inclined to push (being a pushy person ;-) ), part of me wants to give it a bit to see what they will do.

I'm interested to see how DS 'pretests' for the 2nd grade units, how the ability grouping works, etc... basically to see it in action first before I start asking for something else. Right now DS is happy at his school and likes his teacher a lot, so while I need to keep on top of things, there is not the kind of urgency other parents here have shared. Our school - while it is not any kind of official magnet school for the county - does, by virtue of it's program and the community around it (full of smart people who are very actively involved) significantly boosts the county test scores.

SO I guess, as several posters described the 'least worst option'.... even if I did absolutely nothing, it would still be pretty good. Believe me, I am thankful for that blessing!