I already have a ton of questions since I found this forum but I figured I'd start with this one.

We've noticed for awhile now that DD (6 months) has an insane respect for books. They NEVER go in her mouth even though almost absolutely everything else does. Lately, I've been giving her crayons to play with and she's figured out how to make some marks on the paper but most of the time she spends staring at the crayons and turning them over and over in her hands. I realized today that she's imitating me (because I always have a pen in my hand and twirl with my fingers) after I offered her a pen (with the cap on!) and she tried to imitate me by turning it over and over again.

I say this all because normally after she starts getting bored with the crayons or my pen today she starts putting it in her mouth. I know she understands the word No since we've said it to her before (about mouthing the crayons, scratching us, etc.) and she reacted (she threw a mini-temper tantrum). I guess, I'm just wondering if it's appropriate to say no when she does that or should I just take away the object, which also brings on a temper tantrum? Because she's learned to not mouth books and she doesn't do it initially when she gets the object I'm more inclined to try and teach her no but I'm just not sure? If she was a different baby I just would've never given her these things in the first place...

What did you do with your babies when it came to "discipline" type issues like this? I want to encourage her to explore but she has to be safe too...