Hi all , have been reading about acceleration on this forum and wanted to be a part of it so, I have asked for my daughter to be accelerated since yr 2 ( i am in Australia NSW)but the teachers were so against it. She was started at 6 and now is 11 in yr 5 165 cm tall ( 5'2) reached puberty and looks way older than the rest of her peers. She also has aspergers , a high IQ and is very smart. this year she is in a 5/6 class and after 5 years of not relating to her peers she has finally found a peer group, all in year 6. We are in the process of seeing a psychologist and school counsellors to have another IQ test and academic tests to see if she can skip yr6 and go to high school. Everybody agrees she is smart enough and more mature than some of the kids who will be going next year. They also have a gifted and talented class in yrs 7 and 8 that the kids can sit a test for. Many teachers think we are mad as she will not do as well as if she does yr 6 but she is doing yr 6 work at the moment in the composite class.
My question, has anybody else had experience accelerating a gifted child skipping the last year of primary school and going straight onto high school.