Hi Summa (also from down-under)... We're just heading into report season in WA. Everyone tells me that we should expect "middle of the road" year 4 results (miss 8 skipped year 3). To be the top of the class half way thru the year means that the skip may not have been enough (!) - although DD is not exactly a performing seal *groan* Sometimes a skip into a class with older kids results in your kid 'masking' a bit so they don't "make waves" in the new group. Do you suspect this? When my kids are emotional and teary, the first thing I do is measure them. When you're growing at a rate of 1cm per month, tears come. If there's no apparent growth wave, I then look for worms. If all else seems normal, perhaps you may need to explore some anxiety-related issues (?) Perhaps some home-grown art therapy might open up a conversation? Be patient. It takes time to integrate into a new class, meet new friends, get invited for playovers, etc. Perhaps you could do some friendship engineering to encourage things along with kids in his class?

jojo