Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
Elizabethmom - goodluck! Let us know how it goes. I've often wondered how a grade skip would have done for my son. I know skipping K would have been very beneficial for him as he was more than ready for 1st grade. Now, I'm not so sure....would a one year grade skip really be that different? The pace of the instruction would be the same...the depth or lack thereof would be the same. My feeling is that my son (not talking about yours here) needed different more than a grade skip into slightly higher content but same delivery.
I hear you. That's also my concern. We talked about skipping 1st grade (the principal suggested it). But then we all agreed that it would not solve the problem. DS's way of thinking simply does not match the mode of instruction in most public school classrooms. He really doesn't need to hear about something more than once. So the day-in day-out drilling of the same math concept is simply a waste of time for him. And what do they call it again? "Spiraling"? The same math content taught year after year, every time a bit deeper. DS would rather think very deep the first time a new idea is introduced. Eventually we decided that skipping a grade would not really help DS. More flexibility in the classroom would be the key. But this requires a lot of effort from the teachers (and it hasn't worked well so far).