Hello everyone,
I really enjoy reading your forum thanks,
I know someone will be able to help me with this.
I am officially the mother of a gifted underachiever (tra da!).
He is now 9 and showed early promise in math, for example at 99.9th centile on a WJIII achievement test at 6.0, did a thing called a Keymath revised NU at 7.4 which gave maths ages of between 10 and 14.
He is at a great school which has lots of gifted kids, however his maths is literally stagnating. His maths at for the last 3 semesters has been 10, 10.5, 10.5. He is grade skipped, so this means he is now pretty much at grade level!
His maths now is truly terrible, he used to love doing maths with me and he was so ... brilliant, now, he does not seem to read the question or put any thought into it at all, just blurts out the answer which is to his surprise often wrong. He refuses to do any written working out at all and i have said that it's better to get the question right and who cares if you have to do working out, but he won't listen!
We used to do maths at home but he has not wanted to for 2 years and we have not done any as I don't want to push him. However now I am Worried.
I was thinking of asking the school if he would be able to do an online distance math course instead of normal maths as he seems unable to do/learn maths in the classroom. I should add that his peaks of maths ability related to periods of homeschooling or afterschooling and the good test results only come from one-on-one assessments with ed psychs. In the classroom he does not perform well. He liked doing math on the computer ,

Two questions!
1. Does this story ring any bells for anyone? Especially why his maths is now so terrible? It's gone backwards!!!
2. Can you recommend a course? I am not in the US. I can pay course fees. I have heard of EPGY and it sounds good, any others?

(I posted recently about his low PSI on a WISC IV)

Thanks so much.....