I am going to be in this same situation this coming school year with both of my kids.
I have a son finishing up fourth grade with MAP scores reading 262 and Math 228.
I have spoken to the gifted teacher for next year because he will be going to a school that is 5th and 6th grade only. She said that they pull out of the classroom two times a week and that is with the mix of other gifted students. I am learning about different levels of giftedness. I will have my son take the NUMATS in Jan. at Northwestern University that tests gifted kids above grade level and I was tol that the scores will help teachers teach students with where they are at. That is what I was told. My daughter is finishing up Montessori kind. and is reading now at a third grade reading level... I was not as forceful with the teachers for my son other then saying can you please give him more challenging work...That never happend. So I know that I need to more proactive in a cooperative way such as "How Can We work together." I am waiting a year to have my daughter take a test because I do not think she is ready to be with strangers...not sure? Maybe I should... Any imput about levels of giftedness and experience with that would be really helpful....Thanks in advance.