Yesterday the owner of the music school my sons attend was present during DS4 piano lesson. She was shocked how well he was playing and she was also shocked how close he was to the end of his current piano book.

She has been teaching piano for 15 years and she too voiced the opinion I've heard many times before but decided to ignore till yesterday. According to the many piano teachers who have met DS4 he has the ability to become a great pianist, something I think neither he nor I are ready for, but that's besides the point.

To me he is a HG+ kid which gives him a big advantage in music right now. He can read the notes. He understands the rhythm. He can pay attention really well IF he wants to. He has a mother who makes him practice wink Oh and he started playing at 4 as opposed to 6 or later like everybody else, but then a few years ago I didn't think DYS6 was DYS kid either.

The owner pulled me aside to discuss the situation. She doesn't want DS4 to move to the next level. Mind you he is 2 or 3 songs away from the end of his current book.

She got upset with DS4 regular teacher (who wasn't there yesterday) for letting DS4 move too fast through the books. She brought him nursery songs written in a very simplistic way. She used "slow him down" way too often. She made some arguments about not skipping basic concepts. She got upset with the teacher for not using the theory book with him. If he did DS4 wouldn't be so far ahead.

The problem is that I know nothing about piano. I don't know what's good or bad for him. I would be upset if somebody suggested that about math but perhaps she is right.

I explained to her that our kids are not what one would consider ND kids. That DS4 started reading at the age of 2. I also told her that if somebody used the words slow down as a reference to my oldest math I would strongly disagree. I said that what she gave him to play yesterday was too easy for him. I don't want him to be bored.

I have no idea what's the right thing to do. Of course I don't want to mess him up, but I also don't want him to perfect every single song. One perfectionist in the family is good enough. Thank you very much. Just for the record I don't want him to be a professional pianist either.

Of course now I know exactly what I should have asked her
- How many children like him have you taught?
- If he were 6.5 would you still say he was moving too fast?
If not then forget about it and let him move along. He doesn't have the 6 year old maturity, but I think he has the 6 year old mental capability.

I will have the opportunity to talk to her next week. She said she would be present for the next lesson to talk to his regular teacher, who is now in trouble thanks to all this frown

Chances are we will look for a private teacher since I am tired of all the substitute teachers my kids have had. I want a consistency and more flexibility.

Any inside on this? Do I let him move onto the next level? Do I try to slow him down just because he is 4? Is there any harm in moving "too fast"? I want him reasonably challenged. I don't want him bored but I don't want him to be frustrated either.

LMom