Reading "The More Child" Blog today led me to an article about a father's experience "afterschooling" Everyday Math. (Thanks SwitchedOnMom!)
http://ednews.org/articles/one-step-ahead-of-the-train-wreck.html
One of the comments at the end caught my attention.

University of Illinois at Chicago Professor David Page studied the similarities between learning the language of advanced mathematics and learning a foreign language, and found that both are best achieved at an early age.[1].

Page, David, University of Illinois, Department of Mathematics, personal communication, 1996.

A study reported in the scientific journal, Nature, showed that when children learn second languages by age eleven, they use a different part of the brain than that which is used after age eleven. Apparently, language learning is more effective at this location, �the original language learning center,� than at other parts of the brain.[2] This may be why young children, in comparison to older children and adults, learn new languages readily, and it underscores the importance of teaching the �language of [advanced] mathematics� to children at an early age.

I thought this was an important point in terms of accelerating children in math but I couldn't find additional information. Has anyone come across anything like this?