Originally Posted by cym
Dear CFK,

On a side issue, I think proofs are important in math--we've all done them--but the requirements I've seen are completely inappropriate for highly gifted+ students. I feel like school has "trained" my DS9 like a puppet with showing his work, so that instead of instant answers to complex problems he was able to do a couple years ago, it takes him 5 minutes to go through all the steps and write it all down. I HATE it. Talk about stamping out drive and talent. I agree with Dottie--it's overkill. IEPs for PG kids should all have something about minimizing (or eliminating) repetition of lessons, and only a minimal amount of proofs (1 in 10?).

If you think it's overkill, then something's wrong with the way it's being taught. Math is about so much more than getting the right answer and getting it fast. It's a way of thinking, and it's not accomplished through repetition. Real proof (which most people don't see until college/grad school) requires creativity, logic, and innovation. Each problem is different, so when taught correctly, repetition should not be an issue. It sounds like you have a mediocre teacher.