I posted on the other forum, but wanted to put in my 2 cents here, too. I don't see the low end scores being a disability, if they were average for the age range. I see that as asynchronous development. I once saw a post from Dr. Ruf on another forum on a similar topic. She pointed out that while some of the child's scores were two to three standard deviations above the norm, the others were less than one deviation from the norm which, as she said, "is normal".

The poster on the other forum doesn't say where the scores fell, jsut that there is this wide spread. I think perhaps this is a child who is amazingly advanced in some areas at the age of 7 and then pretty typical in others, for a 7 y/o. The frustrating part of asynchronous development is that the child who is 7 and writes at or slightly below age level cannot possibly produce written work that is anything like what is going on in his mind, which THINKS like a 16 y/o. No wonder the kid is frustrated!!! He isn't disabled - except by the fact that no one will recognize his strengths!!

I don't know the details of what the scores really were. Perhaps there truly is an issue that warrants intervention in the sense of some skills being significantly impaired (IE: below age level and/or not advancing). But it seems to me that this is just a case of let's help this amazing kid until his writing skills catch up.

As the psychologist said to us when we had our 5 y/o tested and were worried about behaviors. "He's just acting like a 5 year old. That's perfectly normal. You just don't expect him to ACT like a 5 year old because he doesn't TALK like a 5 year old. But trust me, he's normal!"