I think it depends on the kid and the school. As a teacher, I have NO objections to parents removing their kids from school with proper notice and for a "good" reason. I have happily written independent study packages for kids going to India for church trips, Mexico to rebuild houses, DC for museum trips and YES even Disneyworld for family vacation. A good teacher knows that kids can learn anywhere, you just have to think about it for 5 minutes! And really, there is nothing I'm doing in my class for 45 min a day (middle school) that is more valuable than real-world experience and family. My students have also benefited from their classmates' adventures and my independent study work always has some component that requires the child to teach the class.

BUT- this only works well when you trust the student and the parent to do the work. Public schools only get paid for what we call "butts in the seat". If your child is out on independent study and you don't do the work, the school does not get paid. We still had to expend the same resources but got no money in return. That's pretty lame!

As a mom, it's harder for me. DS is not learning anything in school this year and we have 5 weeks left. I will be pulling him out of school 3 different days in the next 5 weeks. We'll be attending a showing of "Earth" and going to an Earth Day celebration. One day we're going to a 10am theatre showing of a children's theatre production and another, he will present his art at the county fair judging panel. I have no guilt or second thoughts! But if he were older and in a more appropriate placement, I would have to seriously consider whether or not I was letting the school down and holding up my end of the bargain.