This one is right up my alley!

Up until DS6 was accepted in DYS, my DP was convinced that I was just trying to manufacture him into something he wasn't. She fought me every step of the way. She thought he was a cute, bright little boy and I should just leave him alone.

Whether of not my son is a "genetic wonder" or a "freak of nature" he is absolutely NOT a normal little boy. The problem was that she didn't have anything to compare to. Writing at 1, reading at 2, she had no way to determine the "norm". She was so afraid he would be turned into some sort of sociopath, it was amazing. She was completely unreasonable.

When the school tested him and we got his scores she convinced herself that they weren't accurate based on the fact that it was "just some school person" doing the testing. When he was accepted to DYS based on those scores she admitted that maybe, just maybe he was a little smarter than average.

It is horribly frustrating to spend all day advocating with schools, then having to come home and advocate again.

Here is my recommendation to you. Have your DH sit down with him. Pick his favorite subject and have DH do a lesson with him. Have him do the same thing the next night. While all this bonding is going on, get online and pull the K-1 standards off the internet. Sit him down and show him what your DS should be doing according to the school district. Also print the standard that identifies the task your DS is doing with DH. Is it 3rd grade? Print it. If you want, you can go through the entire 3rd grade standard and highlight everything that your son is capable of completing.

I can't remember if you have test scores or not but if you do, get back online and print out the percentiles related to your DS. Show your DH that your son has been identified in the 94th% (whatever the number). Finally make him get on Davidson's site and take him to their library. Let him sit and read and read and read.

Finally, give your son a standards test, whatever grade you think he's working in. Tell your DH that you'll give it again at the end of the summer and if there hasn't been any improvement you'll let him go back to school. (if you're worried about this part, you can always teach to the test...PS do it all the time!)

My house is still full of disagreement where DS is concerned but it doesn't escalate like it used to. One of the biggest things that helped me plead my case was when DS asked his other mom why she didn't want him to learn anything new?

Keep doing what you know you have to do for your son. With the school out of the way now, you only have to advocate to one person and the access is much better!

Good Luck!! Keep us posted!

Shari
Mom to DS 10, DS 11, DS 13
Ability doesn't make us, Choices do!