I'm mostly a lurker here, but I'd like to pick your brains about something new with DS. He's 20 months old, so obviously I don't "know for sure" if he's GT, but he certainly seems to be, based on parental instinct and a look at the Ruf book.

In the last month or so, since we got him an easel at home, he's gotten really excited about painting. And I was intrigued that he was painting "things" - at least, according to him he was. To me, it looked like typical toddler abstract experimentation, but he would usually point to certain lines or dots and tell me what they were (90% of the time, it would be a big bold vertical line down the middle that he'd call a "rocketship", but occasionally other things, including a memorable volcano with "hot hot hot lava").

However, this past week he gets really excited about painting as usual, but then only puts a dot or two on the page before thrusting the brush at me and commanding me to paint a "purple rocketship" or "red house" or whatever. It seems like he's no longer satisfied with his own efforts when I can do a (very marginally! I'm no artist!) more accurate rendition. I've been trying to encourage him to carry on himself, but not much luck. Should I just cover the room in dropsheets (he's not yet mastered the rule of keeping the paint on the paper and not all over the furniture, etc) and back off, or should I paint things for him when he asks?