Hi everyone

I'm the mom of three girls. At our school they give the Naglieri in 1st grade and for the first two kids, that's the only criteria used for the GT program (and since our district moves the kids to a completely separate school, most parents don't participate.) My first DD didn't score gifted, and promptly came home the day of the test with strep.

My second DD came home with a raw score of 132 and the 98th percentile. The teacher didn't give me the results until after the program deadline, despite me asking several times. What I did learn with her, though, is MENSA accepts raw scores of 130 and above for membership.

Friday DD #3 brought her results home. Percentile only (99th) and a letter saying she will be tested further, which is a change from the other two. So I talked to the district coordinator today to 1) get the raw score (143), 2) start the MENSA ball rolling and 3) find out what test is next.

They are now using the SAGES-2 test to determine who is invited into the program. He said 200 1st graders will be tested for 25 spots.

My question is this - what is SAGES-2? Is it another IQ test like the Naglieri? Achievement? Blend? Is there a general idea as to what a "good" score is? What should I expect?

I am just trying to figure out what sort of advocacy I need to be prepared to do for all my girls. There are no additional programs in the schools for GT kids. Knowledge is power.

Any advice along this new trail for me is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Mare

Last edited by Mare; 03/17/09 10:51 PM.

Mare
Mom to DDs 11, 10, 7