On math, I can understand some principals where mastery can make a difference (Note, I am not taking the teachers side, just an observation) A student can know how to multiply, and understand the concept, yet not be quick, or intuitive. It is my belife that to do well in divison, and fractions, you will need to be able to do multiplacation quickly, without working it out. I am not advocating just memorization, but more undertsnding the concept well, and using it quickly. Sort of like mastery. With language arts, DS6 has improved greatly, by a very good undersytanding of phonics. Sure he can read well, and picked up sight words quickly, but once he understood the many rules of phonics his spelling works better. I may not be explainging this well, but he can spell words correctly even if he has not seen them before. On the flip side I do believe that students should be allowed to move beyond mastery. The desire for more knowledge on a subject should be fed, and the stretching out to more difficult areas is good. I really don't see why you can't do a litle of both.