First grade is an especially tough year for gifted kids. They have waited their whole life to go to "school" - that mythical place where you get to learn all day long! Then the realty of school hits. It's actually the place where you have to pretend to be attentive, where you already know everything, where no one else understands you or your desire to learn more and you figure out that you just plain don't fit in.

Beginning the dialog about how different people are good at different things, about how everyone's brain works differently as early as possible is a good thing. These kids need strategies in preschool and kindergarten to help them develop a way of learning in an environment which is seldom suited to them. And they need to understand that they aren't just weird.

Of course a school environment that took care of all these things would be lovely, but until you find that I would say you should talk to your child extensively about how they are different.

When mine was 4 I decided that piano was a good thing. It was something that woudl take years to master and require some struggle on her part. As it turned out, when she got really frustrated was an excellent opportunity to talk about how this feeling was not unique to her, and in fact there were several kids in her class who had that exact same feeling everytime they were confronted with math or reading or whatever.

I shy away from IQ scores. They mean nothing to the kids, and go with the 1 in 10,000 approach...

Good luck.