Hi everyone:

I'm trying to advocate for accommodation for faster math learners at my DS's school. I have a question about rate of learning for children and I thought someone on this board might be able to help me out with, by pointing me to a research article that discusses this. I'm hoping I can find information about appropriate pace of math learning for, say, the upper quartile of children of a particular age, because a LOT of parents at school have been asking me about it, and we would need about that many to have a separate, faster-paced math class for each grade.

For example, is there any article out there that sets out what level of student could handle math instruction at double the speed? Students in top 2 percent on grade level achievement tests? Students in top 20 percent on grade level achievement tests? Students with 130+ IQ?

IQ is actually not so helpful for my argument to school admin. as I think only the struggling students at school get IQ tested (since there is not GT ed mandate in my state) so even if I made the case that all kids with 130+ IQ should get double-paced math, I wouldn't be able to show that the children had IQs above 130!

Of course, if you have only IQ/learning rate info, I'll take it!

Thanks,

bk