My daughter is being screened for the gifted program. She was screened last year but did not pass. (She was given the NNAT, although she's highly verbal. Visual-spatial tasks are not her area of strentgh). The state of AL uses the NNAT, OLSAT, K-BIT, and Slosson for screening purposes, although most school systems seem to use the NNAT and OLSAT much more. In looking at the matrix that AL uses, students must earn much higher scores on the K-BIT and Slosson to earn matrix points corresponing to much lower NNAT and OLSAT scores. Does anyone know why this might be? The means and sd's are the same for these tests, right? It doesn't make sense to me to use different cut off scores in this situation.

If my daughter doesn't pass the screening this time, she might still qualify after taking the OLSAT in the spring. Every teacher who has had her since nursery school has commented on her intelligence. Even her softball coach has made such comments. Her achievement test scores are always very high (97th-99th percentiles). We are hoping she will qualify for services this year. Her teacher says she's having trouble keeping her challenged.