I find that I'm so frequently frustrated by the educational system, that I look at what ISN'T working for DS, and feel like sometimes I'm blinded to what IS working for him. So, here's something that IS working for us.

DS complains about his homework taking too long and being boring so when I can, I try to find ways to make it into a game that is more fun/challenging. Yesterday, for his spelling words, I took several of the words and made them a puzzle for him and his little brother to guess. For example, one word was CHOOSE, so I said this is a verb that starts with the letter "C", it has a homonym that is also a verb and is something you do with a body part above your neck, and the homonym ends with "S" (Answer: CHEWS). Then I gave him examples such as blinks and listens so they'd understand the type of verb I meant. We had a hoot trying to see how long it would take them to figure out the word. He didn't mind then writing the word down several times as was assigned, because he was wondering what the next puzzle would be.

Anyone have anything they'd like to share that works for them? Or accommodations the school has made that have been resourceful and worked well?

Thanks for being here! I love this board!

Last edited by Mama22Gs; 02/18/09 12:46 PM.