Hi Trinity and Willagayle,

I feel very fortunate that I haven't been through a lot of the frustrations many others have with PG kids. I have 4, either highly or exceptionally gifted sons, although I do credit myself in advocating for them early and often and the cooperative school district admin. Each son was diagnosed early (either age 4 or 5), each qualified for a self-contained exceptionally gifted public school program for elementary school, and while no school program is perfect, it did allow them to work at accelerated pace with peers. My 3rd son has the highest IQ and was/is challenging enough to make me seek help with Davidson Young Scholar program. He is wonderful, but physically a clutz (destroys his clothes and my house, 3 broken arms by age 5...just seems to disconnect with his body). He is definitely functional in class, and loves learning everything, but the teachers tell me he lay down on the floor to do the standardized testing and is "all over the place". He is so deep in thought all the time that he doesn't register your directions.

He was able to such advanced math so quickly at such a young age that I just was plain scared (I still am sometimes, but it comes it waves). I felt that someone should help develop his ability (kind of like harnessing power to a usable resource)and that it was beyond my abilities. I still spend most days investigating would be best for each kid, how to supplement what school is providing, not wanting to miss opportunities or be a deliquent mom. But I doubt there is any one perfect solution, especially one that would fit all 4 kids, so I guess that's my destiny for the next decade or so...tweak their educational situations. I do find the ditd and these bulletin boards immensely helpful to me in not feeling so alone. I have found that I cannot talk to my sisters or even the grandparents, or my friends, because I am obsessive (and feel one needs to be to keep up with these kids) and always agonized over the next and newest ideas. They either feel I am bragging, or compare their kids, or just think I'm crazy. Luckily, I have found a partner in my husband who has been supportive, and the kids are happy to know that they don't have to fit into a standard box, the box keeps changing shape & size.

That's my story.