Hi Trinity!
What did we do? We phoned, snail mailed, and emailed everyone and anyone that we thought might help us, including the mayor, the interim school superindent, the board of ed president, 2 different senators, a local special ed attorney, etc.
The person that i believe made it all happen was the director of the "major achievement program". We spent hours on the phone discussing my son, how we felt about the district's academic performance and their shortcomings with regards to gifted students. I was honest with her and told her all of our horror stories and how we were continually getting conflicting, and even incorrect info from district employees. I did mention FAPE during one of our talks and that really seemed to make her uneasy. So, what worked? Perseverance!
We met his teacher today and he has direct experience with g/t students. I could see him "evaluating" my son, in his head, as he was interacting with his new class.
This is not our optimum situation, but we are miles ahead of where we were a month ago.